From the Edited Guide - Mars Rock Baffles Scientists

1 Conversation

Mars Rock Baffles Scientists

Mars.

A rock from Mars just found in the Sahara desert has taken scientists by surprise, though not because it's from Mars. That fact alone is not unusual. While meteorites mostly come from the asteroid belt, a few can be traced to Mars. Scientists have previously postulated that an asteroid may have struck Mars and bounced rocks into space. Some of these would eventually fall to Earth where, indeed, many have been found.

What is unusual is its makeup. The recently found Mars rock on Earth (dubbed Mr E) is volcanic, it shows signs of interaction with water, and it looks similar to ones that NASA's rover Spirit is currently inspecting on Mars. It's also quite old – about 2 billion years.

The ones we've found to date that trace to Mars are clearly rubble and Mars researchers have been puzzled by the apparent disconnect between these and samples from Spirit which are clearly volcanic and show signs of interaction with water. Plus, the rocks that we're finding on Mars just plain look different than the ones we've been finding here on Earth. Until now, that is.

Conspiracy theorists have been quick to point out how this clearly shows that the orbit of Mars was altered by its inhabitants using controlled volcanic jets and, what is more, the recent discovery was made at about the end of the Mayan calendar, which of course, they say, proves it.

'But that's just nonsense,' according to NASA scientist Aldus Agree. 'The ancient Mr E shares many of the same qualities that we are finding in Spirit', he says, 'and what is actually most surprising is that Spirit's exquisitely accurate carbon datings are returning negative numbers, meaning that its samples are from the future. Clearly we've been looking at this backwards. The evidence is showing us that there are rocks on Mars similar to our Mr E that have originated on Earth, and not the other way around. What we now know is that we will travel to Mars in our future and use materials from Earth to terraform it. Then at some further point, civilization on Earth collapses into a heap, those remaining on Mars eventually discover time travel, and then return to Earth at least 2 billion years ago to precolonize it.'

We have met the Martians, and they are us.

General Features Archive

Roswell Resident

01.04.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87789406

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more