Cartoon Corner: Cromwell Fights Kings and Witches

0 Conversations

If we're going to be patriotic this week, we can't leave out an English victory. Of course, you all know about this event.

2 July 1644: The Battle of Marston Moor

The Battle of Marston Moor was a great victory for the Parliamentarians over the Royalists during the English Civil War. What was it all about? 'Why, that I cannot tell, said he, but 'twas a famous victory.' Apparently, the Scots felt they didn't get enough credit.

Oliver Cromwell was there, but according to history, he wasn't fighting any vampires. On the other hand, it occurs to us that this was a period of major   outbreaks of what they call in Tennessee 'godless supernaturalism'. So we suggest that the next hit film be titled Oliver Cromwell: Witch Hunter.

The fellow in the picture certainly looks as if he smelled something bad – possibly Charles I's expense account. We venture to suggest David Warner for the part. Cromwell really looks more like Warner than Tim Roth, although Roth did a brilliant job of playing the Lord Protector in To Kill a King.

Needless to say, Roth played Cromwell 'warts and all'.

smiley - run

Cartoon Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.07.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87763215

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more