Lost Transmissions: Cubons

0 Conversations

Lost Transmissions

Entry: Cubons.

The Original Cubon Generator Commercial

The cubon, the curiously1 regular six-sided sub-atomic particle, was discovered by a Disaster Area roadie2 who accidentally plugged a Hypercaster Megabass into a matter transmitter, de-tuned it by a major fifth and zapped his lunch, the jug it was sloshing around in and most of a continent into two-inch bricks. As a precursor to the main event this was seen as something of a let down.

However, this elegantly stackable particle revolutionised the transportation of fruit and vegetables in some of the poorer regions of the galaxy, with the resultant space savings making some wholly vegetarian societies immensely rich3, allowing them to afford the softer, scented toilet tissue that they’d had their eye on.

The cubon also put a lot of overpaid logistical topologists4 out of a job. This was a profession that had, up to that point, been extremely angry about the inconvenient shapes of organic objects and had spent their professional careers (and not inconsiderable amounts of free time) squashing, mincing and compacting every living thing into convenient boxes. The demise of this discipline seemed assured until one enterprising thinker with shares in a haulage company invented the spherical packing crate5 to level the playing field.

However, Nif Dink6 An ancient, wispy-haired man widely recognised as an innovator, free-thinker and irritating know-it-all, famously commented that "It's always a bad idea to tell clever ideas to complete idiots" and was proved spectacularly right when his machine to make square stars blew his eyebrows off, as well as wiping out the nice little corner of the Magrathean factory floor he had rented to "have a bit of a tinker".

There was even an aborted attempt to sell the technology but the "It might look simple, but you're too stupid to use it." advertising campaign successfully consigned the cubon generator to the cut price junk catalogues and discount bins. This was, of course, until Zaphod Beeblebrox bought one to make ice cubes out of comet trails and make his lemons easier to slice.

Zaphod re-launched it with some fanfare as the next big cocktail accessory, made millions, and spent all of the next year almost terminally drunk at other people's parties.

Afterwards, having nearly choked to death on an ill-advised handful of square painkillers7, Beeblebrox spent the next decade trying, unsuccessfully, to prosecute himself for attempted murder.

As he bankrupted two major law firms in the process (both acting for and against Zaphod), the Cubon generator was immediately awarded "Most useful product ever!" by the Encyclopedia Galactica, an award that was then backdated by two years when the "Nif Dink Incident" was brought to its gleeful attention.

Entry Ends.

The Lost Transmissions Archive

Tim Stevenson

07.11.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1To physicists, who were expecting something that looked a lot more like an explosion in a coat hanger factory.2Now, sadly, deceased.3Only if you use other fruit farmers as your basis for comparison.4YOU try designing a box to efficiently transport giant hyper-bananas.5He won a collapsible statuette.6The last person to ever end up on a guest list for anything, ever. You have been warned.7Branded as "Asperoids".

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87718279

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more