A Conversation for Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman' - the Song

A great entry for an extraordinary record.

Post 1

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

Thanks for so eloquently bringing up what is, as you say, one of the strangest songs ever to have reached the UK top 5. My parents used to play 'O Superman' when I was a child, but it was only when I bought home a second-hand copy a few years ago that I realised what an intelligent yet haunting work it was. It has been one of my favourite records since then, not least because its message is just as relevent now as it was when it was first released, if not more so.

Gary Mulholland, in his excellent book 'This Is not Cool: The Best 500 Singles Since Punk And Disco', writes a great piece about 'O Superman' that is well worth reading if you want to know what it is all about, with the necessary disclaimer that his interpretation of it is by no means the definitive one and that "no other record [in the book] is so intimidating to critique".


A great entry for an extraordinary record.

Post 2

Ormondroyd

Thanks - I'll look out for that smiley - book. And I'm glad you like the Entry! smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more