A Conversation for Saxophones

pianissimo

Post 21

SMURF

Oh how funny.smiley - smiley

If we're on the telling jokes train of thought I found a badge with the following on:

I'm a fermata....hold mesmiley - sadface


pianissimo

Post 22

Fredie Ghooouulashhhh

Whats blue and dosent fit?


pianissimo

Post 23

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

The blues man...
Them blues be a tightfittin' piece a cloth fo' any yon nigguz tae be wearin', sez me... what you Bubba?


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 24

Carlton

I note (as a new arrival looking to see if there's anything about jazz on H2G2 that's not dismissive) that no-one answered your enquiry about "Blue Monk".
It's a piece by the late Thelonious Monk who was a noted Be-Bop pianist with an unusual style usually described as "spiky" and/or dissonant.
I own a number of his records and must have several versions of this tune but I'm afraid I can't hum it at all, let alone loud enough for you to hear...
Happy soloing!


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 25

MadMunk?¿

Thank you Carlton.. I've been patiently awaiting that info for a long time now.... i'd given up on it..... smiley - winkeye


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 26

Fredie Ghooouulashhhh

Luckily I don't have to play blue Monk, But I have to play in the band with a mic infron of me smiley - sadface (which has to be worse).


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 27

MadMunk?¿

What? Actually SING???????
Now that i can't do..... smiley - winkeye
Long time no type Goulaaaasshh.... (No, don't tell me i spelled it wrong... i can guess.....) smiley - winkeye


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 28

Fredie Ghooouulashhhh

I cant Sing and I refuse to. So even more luckily I have to sing through my Sax. smiley - smiley

I am afraid that I havent been around. Ive had to spend a week of hell at CCF camp smiley - fish, then 2 weeks in a leaky tent in Dorset only to find out I couldn't see the totality in the eclipse, Then 2 weeks in Poland where I had my brand new CD player and ALL my best CDs stolen, and Having to share a room with an old deaf Polish man who is my Grandad. And I'm sorry but even now I have to scream - AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.


pianissimo

Post 29

Fredie Ghooouulashhhh

The B52s were a good group. Even though they were all mad.
And Madness is BACK smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley with Lovestruck.
*Everyone bows*


"Blue Monk" (ex-Trombone)

Post 30

MadMunk?¿

My heart bleeds for you..... smiley - sadface
At least you don't have to sing..... smiley - winkeye


Eclipse (ex-Trombone)

Post 31

Carlton

Surely anyone really interested in the eclipse knew that totality was only available in UK in Devon and Cornwall and that Dorset isn't either of those?
As for the people who claimed that totality wasn't any more special than a partial eclipse, I don't know what planet they're on!
I was at work and had to make do with a glimpse of the crescent through a floppy disk; not really very exciting.
And all this talk of singing leaves this cantophobe even colder...
Cheers, Carlton.


pianissimo

Post 32

The Lackadaisical Maestro

I am a tenor player and I have to say that it's not our fault if we come across as loud. In jazz groups, I can balance perfectly, but in concert groups, I am constantly accused of overplaying. What's interesting is that I go into each genre with the same concept of dynamics. If other players on other instruments were competent enough to utilise their full lung capacities, good saxophone players would blend perfectly. So you see, saxophones don't overplay, other players underplay (specifically high woodwinds, brass players can play quite loudly when they want to).


pianissimo

Post 33

Carlton

Some jazz pianists (though maybe not T. Monk) were notorious for over-using their lungs, but not to their full capacity, I think...

But perhaps by "other instruments" you meant only wind instruments?

Who usually play at the front (the "front line"), so everyone else can hear themselves playing!

Carlton.


pianissimo

Post 34

Ceridwyn

I don't think that the people that I live with would agree that the saxophone is a quiet instrument.
Particularly as I (and all of them) am revising for my Finals and find playing my sax very loudly is the perfect way to unwind.


Improv

Post 35

Conspyre

Perhaps because you actually get to play what you want, not some damn composer's crap? Sorry, I'm a bari player, I tend to rant about my parts... Seriously, I find improv to be a great experience. It's kind of hard to learn if you're weak on theory, but once you have the basics, it's wonderful. As for volume, from personal experience, I know that one baritone can drown out 2 sousaphones, 4 'bones, and a second bari, and also play VERY quietly, so we don't lack for dynamics.


Key: Complain about this post