A Conversation for Working in a Fruit and Vegetable Department of a Supermarket

Coordinated Coffee Breaks

Post 1

Special Agent Poops

I work in a supermarket on the checkouts, and we dont really get to choose when our breaks are, we just get told when to go (i.e. when the queues are short or when there are enough staff in to relieve everyone for their breaks). However, I have noticed that the people who work on the shop floor coordinate their breaks so that they all get to go upstairs to the staff room in time to watch popular tv programs, such as Eastenders.

This explains the phenomenon in our shop of there being no one around from 8pm-8:30pm on some weeknights. Occasionly my break will occur during Eastenders, and when I get upstairs, the entire produce and warehouse departments are crowded around the tv.

smiley - smiley


Coordinated Coffee Breaks

Post 2

krn

you're right about the checkouts, that's the same in our store too. and technically it's the way it is supposed to work for a produce worker. but in reality, a produce worker works alone and thus can chose to use his break time in whatever way he choses, thus, a one hour break can be taken in four fifteen minute portions, or etc. also, because he is mainly unsupervised, he can basically do whatever he wants, as long as the fruit in the shop doesn't get empty. so.....


Key: Complain about this post

Coordinated Coffee Breaks

More Conversations for Working in a Fruit and Vegetable Department of a Supermarket

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more