A Conversation for Great Footballers

greatest footballer

Post 1

mikey

As a nonfootballing bloke I don`t really know much about the skills involved but, mainly because of his record of never having been booked Gary Lineker must feature fairly highly as an ambassador of the sport.


greatest footballer

Post 2

me[Andy]g

I'd agree - Lineker is a great ambassador for football, and the way he's currently trying to save his home town club (Leicester) from going into administration is admirable. He was also the best English striker of his generation, and did pretty well when he played in Spain for Barcelona. I don't think he comes close to Maradona or Pele in terms of greatness playing-wise. I would also imagine that Pele wasn't the sort of player who got booked that often either.


greatest footballer

Post 3

The Ghost of Polidari

On the great ambassador front I guess Bobby Moore probably deserves a mention too. Great captain, of course, and considered to be a gentleman by everyone who knew & played with him.


greatest footballer

Post 4

me[Andy]g

Yes - and Pele described Moore in the 1970 World Cup as the best defender he'd played against, which also has to count for something.


greatest footballer

Post 5

Trout Montague

Moore's in my World XI

F101198?thread=224985

Trout


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more