A Conversation for 'Thundercats' - the Animated Series

Third Earth

Post 1

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Third, because it was the third planet from its sun. Earth, because...well, because it was a cheap knock-off of assorted Earth cultures.

Ah, Thundercats; another Saturday morning cartoon where the heroes waved lethal weapons without killing anyone in a largely futile attempt to defeat a big bad who would not die until the ratings fell. As I recall, Mum-Ra was never really defeated, just driven off by the sight of his shrivelled reflection in the Sword of Omens.

But hang on! How can you have an entry on the Thundercats without mentioning their battle cry?

Thunder...
Thunder...
Thunder...
Thundercats, HO!

And the cat signal would flash out form the Sword of Omens - on occasion blasting an easily navigated tunnel through several miles of solid rock in the process - and their eyes would all glow, and they'd run to rescue Lion-o from yet another embarrassing scrape. Either that, or they'd stop getting the snot kicked out of them and start taking names.

Even the tank seemed to benefit from the morale booster.


Third Earth

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Saturday morning? It was on every weekday at 4 here...

Scarily enough, I remember quite a lot about the show, and it was over half a lifetime ago...

Oh, and there's a typo in Mumra's chant--should be form, not from...


Third Earth

Post 3

owlatronas

smiley - wow what a smiley - cool thundercat site!!!


andysmiley - bat


Third Earth

Post 4

Sea Change

I thought the reason someone thought to write this was because DC Comics had just revived the Thundercats in comic book form. I am sorry I didn't pop in during Peer Review. Check out their website to see the preview, they are a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner.


Third Earth

Post 5

owlatronas

will dosmiley - run


andysmiley - bat


Third Earth

Post 6

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

I love these entries that bring back fond memories but I wouldn't be doing my job as a researcher if I didn't point out a few more typos in the character names - it should be Lion-O, Tygra, WilyKit and WilyKat, Jaga, S-S-Slithe and Mumm-Ra. (I hate to admit this, but my sources, should they be doubted, are an extensive comic collection and box-art labels from the toys......)


Third Earth

Post 7

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I would have thought that if "Third Earth" had derived from the palnetary position of the Thundercats' new homeworld then you'd have to call the other planets "First Mercury" and so on...


Key: Complain about this post