A Conversation for Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters

Ottawa Canada Blaster

Post 1

aeronickgignac

There is a bar in downtown Ottawa (In the Byward Market) that sells Pan galactic Gargle Blasters... the place is appropriately named Zaphod Beeblebrox.
I haven't had the pleasure of having one yet, but will post again with a revue.
So far, a hoopy buddy of mine has, but this was his comment: "Lots of lemon, not much brick".smiley - bubbly


Ottawa Canada Blaster

Post 2

Hoopy_Wonko_the_Sane

I had the "pleasure" of spending the better(or worse) part of an afternoon @ Zaphod's (there is now a Zaphod's 2 I heard) in the market and partook of the "Drink Specials" listed on the board. There was a Slartibartfast, a Bambleweenie 57, a Deep Thought, one whose names escapes me "Magrathea" maybe, and of course the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (which everyone should be aware is the "liquid equivalent to a mugging - very expensive and bad for the head"
It was 1994 or '95 I think, Johnny Cochrane had just started his closing arguments in the OJ Simpson trial and I sidled up to the bar with a friend to watch the greatest show on earth (to date).
It turns out that the official bar recipe for a PGGB involves no measurements of any kind... and while the bartender drains all three bottles upside down in the pint glass and watches TV for a second or two (or three) you wonder if $5.50 is actually quite cheap.
There were 5 drinks on the black special board and I tried them all once before realizing that the PPGB is by far the greatest concoction in this or any galaxy, and proceeded to have 8 more glasses of the thick bright green elixir.
This began a night of unimaginable (unrememberable) debauchery which ended up with me waking up in a hotel room in Montreal Quebec sometime the next afternoon with a half used train ticket on the dresser and a backpack full of rollerblades.
I have not been back to Zaphod's but I remember it fondly.
If you are ever out that way, the Owner was a really cool frood named Eugene, and despite his appearance, I consider him to be an intellectual rivalled by only the most paranoid of androids.
Tell him I said hi, and ask him about "Disaster Area" smiley - empty


Ottawa Canada Blaster

Post 3

Brother Andúril - Guardian

That is actually really cool. You've reinspired me to want to start my own bar again, lol.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more