A Conversation for How to Play the Saxophone

Easy?

Post 1

Syrinx

I'm always perplexed when I see the phrase 'the saxophone is easy to play'. Isn't the piano even easier to play because the notes are laid out in front of you and you can't play out of tune, unlike the sax where you most certainly can play out of tune even if you finger the notes correctly. Tell Evgeny Kissin that what he does is easy. Isn't the guitar easy to play - you've just got to stop a string and pluck it, just ask John Williams. The recorder, now surely that's easy to play because so many schoolchildren play it, as Michala Petri must certainly agree. The saxophone is easIER to play than some other wind instruments such as the clarinet or oboe, but as in any other field, exceptionally high levels of skill can be applied to its playing as achieved by the likes of jazzist Evan Parker or classical player John Harle. Has anyone heard the Rascher Saxophone Quartet? The saxophone may become easier but only once you have worked hard at it.


Easy?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The saxophone is easy to start playing, like the piano. Obviously to be a world-class saxophone player or pianist, you are going to have to work really hard!


Easy?

Post 3

donzbop

I have played a taught sax for a zillion years and most adult students do find it a pretty easy to play.


Easy?

Post 4

donzbop

I have played a taught sax for a zillion years and most adult students do find it a pretty easy to play simple songs in a short time frame.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more