A Conversation for Flutes

Flutes...additional

Post 1

Meddling Jackanapes

As an amateur flautist for many years I feel it only right to suggest to people wanting to know more about the flute that they investigate the source of my own conversion - JETHRO TULL. Lead singer and founder Ian Anderson is also the band's flautist - his one legged playing having become a trademark of the band in the 30 year history. A much misunderstood band, and one that is often dismissed - usually by people who have not listened to them. Classical flute fans, in my experience (and I love classical music, don't get me wrong), can be quite snobby about Ian Anderson - I have heard many accuse him of "insulting" the flute, and worse. However, his playing is faultless and highly original - and he is classically trained. Discovering Tull made me love this amazing instrument. It is snobby and smallminded to think that the flute is exclusive property of classical and baroque music (one of Jethro Tull's standards is "Bouree" - based on Bach's double Violin concerto) and don't let classical flute fans put you off experimenting with Tull. If you want to know more, check out Jethro Tull samples on www.pops2u.co.kr or just buy one of the Greatest Hits compilations. If you have an open mind, you will make a fantastic discovery.


Key: Complain about this post

Flutes...additional

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more