A Conversation for The Vietnam War Through the Eyes of American Filmmakers

Go Tell The Spartans.

Post 1

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

I'm amazed that someone can write a concise article about a subject that could easily fill a large book! A vigorous and challenging article Jimster which I very much enjoyed. You picked the right films to analyse as they were the ones that were brought up for large amounts of public discussion at the time. For instance, The deer Hunter was lauded and tipped for Oscars until Jane Fonda got an anti-DH bandwagon rolling and the film's standing rapidly diminished. Her view was that it 'glorified' war and the fact that this became a highly regarded view shows the American mood at the time.
Unfortunately, The Deer Hunter's release overshadowed another 1978 film called 'Go Tell The Spartans'. Starring Burt Lancaster it showed the VC as highly determined and the South Vietnamese Army as highly corrupt. Burt gave a rousing, but highly cynical performance, but the film became what is known as a 'sleeper' only gaining recognition in the years to follow. The American public just weren't ready for it.


Go Tell The Spartans.

Post 2

Timetraveler

I agree with you that "Spartans" has never gotten much attention or respect for its gritty look at the war. I also think more attention in discussions like this should be given to "In Country" (1989) and the performance by Bruce Willis as the tormented Vietnam veteran.


Go Tell The Spartans.

Post 3

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

The reason that film wasn't totally successful eludes. I'm not a massive Bruce fan but his performance was moving. Emily Lloyd was v good as well. I think it was too close to home. Rather in the same way First Blood was.


Go Tell The Spartans.

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

(just popping in to say thanks for the comments - and for the additional discussion here, smiley - cheers )


Go Tell The Spartans.

Post 5

Timetraveler

Yes, "First Blood" was another edgy look at a Vietnam veteran, and the only one of the Rambo series that wasn't a cartoon. Sly should have quit when he was ahead.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more