A Conversation for Secret Army - the TV Show

Connections with "Allo, Allo"

Post 1

AlbertFoiret

Although it doesn't emerge from the posted main credits, quite a roster of cast members from "Allo, Allo" had appeared in "Secret Army".

John D Collins (one of the British Airmen) had a regular role in SA as Inspector Paul Delon, Albert's resistance contact inside the Brussels police.

Richard Marner (Colonel von Strohm) played a member of the Belgian resistance in the Series Two episode "Russian Roulette".

Hilary Minster (General von Klinkerhoffen) appeared as Hauptmann Muller, a German aide de camp to Major Reinhardt, in four Series Three episodes (Invasions, Collaborator, Just Light the Blue Touch Paper, and Ambush).

And Guy Siner (Lieutenant Gruber) appeared as a German intelligence operative in the Series Three episode "A Safe Place".

I hadn't realised that so many familiar faces from "Allo, Allo" had actually appeared in the very show that they were spoofing. It makes me smile to see them in SA, which of course was made several years earlier.


Connections with "Allo, Allo"

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

And the plotlines are sometimes shockingly similar. The episode with the airman dressed as an old lady seems straight out of 'Allo 'Allo (and it's based on a true story too!), while the one about the stolen painting is forever tainted by that infamous work by Van Klump, 'Ze Fallen Madonna Wit der Big Boobies'.

The castmemebrs were, naturally, not amused by 'Allo 'Allo. Having spent so long researching the real heroes of lifeline, they felt it was in very poor taste. But it was very popular at the time...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more