A Conversation for The History of the London Black Taxi Trade

Is this the end of London's black cabs?

Post 1

CatherineC

New regulations could mean that European cans go on sale alongside more traditional cabs which could completely transform the London streets. Some taxi firms are gearing up for the explosion of European models and have equipped their models with taxi signs, meters and glass partitions. A six month trial is planned according to Taxi trade sources....but will you recognise a European taxi?

One of the new taxis seats six passgeners who board through big sliding doors another is the People carrrier chassis used by Peugeot and Citroen.

It seems that cabbies welcome the news as they have more freedom of choice and the European cabs are cheaper at £24,000 and £22,000 - but do we really want to wave goodbye to what is a staple part of Londonlife?


Is this the end of London's black cabs?

Post 2

Mina

Will they be so easily recognisable?

I've been told by tourists that they expect to see certain things when they come to London. Red telephone boxes, red double decker buses, and black taxis. It would be a shame to lose one of those things.


Is this the end of London's black cabs?

Post 3

Andrew Bowden

Not that we have many red phone boxes, and the amount of green, yellow and blue on the buses seems to be increasing all the time!

But its like trying to take the yellow cabs out of New York. Everyone knows a cab in NY is yellow, one in London is black. Go to Leeds - they're white with black bonnets!


Is this the end of London's black cabs?

Post 4

MatthewL

I'm not really bothered what sort of vehicle they are, just so long as they're diesel, or better still, electric. By the way, I was always under the impression that a cab had to go off the road if it had a dent, no matter how big or small. I've often been tempted to bash into a cab when they pull out or do a u-turn without warning.


Is this the end of London's black cabs?

Post 5

MatthewL

I'm not really bothered what sort of vehicle they are, just so long as they're diesel, or better still, electric. By the way, I was always under the impression that a cab had to go off the road if it had a dent, no matter how big or small. I've often been tempted to bash into a cab when they pull out or do a u-turn without warning.


Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The History of the Black Taxi' to 'The History of the London Black Taxi Trade'.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more