OS/2 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

OS/2

2 Conversations

OS/2 is a multi-tasking, 32-bit, speedy operating system produced by IBM.

At its beginnings, OS/2 was a joint project by Microsoft and IBM. OS/2 by Microsoft would have Microsoft branding on it and OS/2 by IBM would have IBM branding on it. This went on until Microsoft created Windows NT, where the two parties split. This was around OS/2 version 1.3. Windows NT and OS/2 are remarkably similar, even to this day with Windows NT 5.1 (2000) and NT 5.2 (XP).

OS/2 version 1.0 was not graphical at all. Yet it allowed for multi-tasking and was compatible with most DOS applications and commands. Version 1.1 was the first version of OS/2 to have a graphical user interface, albeit an extremely simple one. The GUIs of 1.1 and 1.2 were very similar to the interfaces of Windows versions 2 and 3. This was only to be expected with the joint MS/IBM development. OS/2 version 2.0, compared to the 1.x versions, was somewhat like Windows 95 compared to Windows 3.11. Version 2 brought symmetric multiprocessing (multiple CPU support), Windows 3.x application compatibility, and a revamped user interface. Version 3 - or 'Warp' - was released with Internet support, and extensive network support. The most commonly used OS/2 version nowadays used is version 4, 'Merlin', with built-in voice dictation software, enhanced user interface, OpenGL and Java support.

OS/2 in general is an extremely nice OS, renowned for its stability, and configurable to a great degree, and many applications can be run on it, both natively, and with its Windows compatibility. Project Odin, which is in development, will support 32-bit windows applications.

OS/2 is still available from IBM.

OS/2 Strategy for 2001

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A718562

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more