A Conversation for 'Carmina Burana' - Drink, Sex and Medieval Monks

Very rousing!

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

This is great, especially since most people actually know the music and like it, because of hearing the ads etc (not forgetting that it was also used in the Damien Omen II film).

Thanks for writing this.


Very rousing!

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I'll be performing Carmina for the first time next Saturday, in the National Concert Hall in Dublin. I'm glad this made the front page before the performance.


Very rousing!

Post 3

compo

While Carmina Burana could be classified as classical music,one of the best interpretations I have heard was done by Ray Manzarek,former
keyboard player with the band The Doors.While it was a modern variation on Carl Orff's original,Manzarek still held kept close to the original.Unfortunately,this version was deleted several years ago
and even looking in many second hand record shops has failed to bring a copy to light.Does anyone know of or have a copy that they could let me know of ,please.


Very rousing!

Post 4

Shaunak - who loves to swim in chilly water

You could see if it's the same one on the OST:The Doors ...
It could be ... very nice version.

Cheers,
Shaunak.


Very rousing!

Post 5

Live "Yogi" Culture

Maybe this explains why Stone used it in the film. It seemed out of place at the time, even though I was watching the film in German!


Very rousing!

Post 6

Live "Yogi" Culture

And in John Boorman's "Excalibur", of course.
I used to recommend this as an introduction to orchestral/classical music to friends because it features lots of rhythmic percussion and simple tunes and cool brass breaks (i.e. pop music) but I was always surprised how few people would listen far beyond O Fortuna. Maybe due to that rhythmic complexity.


Very rousing!

Post 7

compo

Thanks for the info,folks.It was onlt O,Fortuna that was used in the Oliver Stone film The Doors.I believe a version was also used in the soundtrack of the original Omen film.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more