The h2g2 Post Recipe

0 Conversations

This week, for breakfast or supper... Kedgeree


Makes enough for 4 persons

  • 1lb (450g) smoked haddock1
  • 4oz (100g) long grain rice
  • 3 eggs
  • 4fl oz (120ml) milk
  • 2oz (50g) butter, melted
  • 4oz (100g) frozen peas
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra Butter
  • Parsley to garnish

Method

  • Put the eggs on to boil and cook until hard-boiled - about 6 minutes.

  • Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the fish, skin-side down. Cover with the milk, bring to the boil then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, turning after about 5 minutes.

  • Put the rice on to cook according to the directions on the packet. A little saffron may be added for extra colour if required.

  • Cook the peas - the small, petit pois are the best. Add a teaspoon of sugar rather than salt.

  • Test that the fish is cooked - it should fall apart when tested with a knife. Lay skin-up on a plate and peel the skin off2.

  • Drain the rice, return to the cleaned pan and add the flaked fish and drained peas.

  • Run the boiled eggs under cold water for a few moments to facilitate peeling. Finely chop, reserving one yolk for garnish.

  • Add the chopped egg, season to taste and mix well. Put into a greased casserole dish, dot with butter and reheat when required for 15 minutes at Gas Mark 5 (375F - 190C).

  • Garnish with grated egg yolk and a little parsley.

  • Serve with brown bread or a fresh green salad



If you have a favourite recipe you would like to share with the community, please send it to Shazz.

The Recipe Archive

shazzPRME

28.02.02. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Try to buy the fresh, uncoloured variety as this has more flavour.2You can remove the skin before cooking if preferred, but it is easier to do after cooking.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A702677

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more