Larks'n owls- the owl situation

1 Conversation


THE OWL SITUATION
Fine for larks, is it not? Up with the chickens and that, work when it suits them best. And, in order to get the recommended eight hours' sleep, in bed by 10- which by some good fortune is the exact time they'd nod off by choice.
Well, they've got it made.
But we nocturnal folk (as Mr. Pratchett said, wisely, not just staying up to look more interesting)...
Why should we be made to work against our natural rhythms? It's as bad as alphabetical toilet use in the mills. We should not be forced to work when tired, and have to sleep at a time not suited to our biological settings (in order to be able to get up the following day... vicious circle, see!) just because 9-5 are the favourite hours of some lark in power.
Currently I am running at 2pm-5am, with just as much sleep as anyone else. No fault of mine, it just happened. (Normally I am not quite as extreme, running more 11am-2am-ish.) And yet I get told it is 'daft' and can't be good for me. Guilt! Discrimination! Ostracisation and scorn from the pro-daytime faction.
Ideally we would select a working day appropriate to each of us- larks also, some of whom are pushed to be up beyond 9pm- and not be forced into an uncomfortable regime which leaves us knackered. Much better for all! our streets would be safe, shops would be open for those that want them, and no one would have to do shift work if it didn't suit them. (And they wouldn't have to be paid more.) Work would be done more efficiently, and all would be joyful.

So (Owls in particular since it is more difficult for us to adjust, and lack of sleep is a greater problem) unite against the tyranny of prescriptive hours! Rah!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A682201

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more