A Conversation for The Colourful Traditions of Norwegian Students

Thread Moved

Post 21

Tilly - back in mauve

Hmm. A russ is a sixth former, or a matriculation candidate, the last month before the examen artium. The word "russ" is a shortening for lat. (cornua) depositurus ("take off the horns"). The exam artium is seen as when they have to be serious and mature so therefore they party their little brains out as long as they can.

The first mentioning of russ was in 1723, in the book "Erasmus Montanus" of Ludvig Holdberg. The first time you could see the special hat worn, was in 1905, Oslo. In 1940-45 Norway was invaded by Germany and russe-traditions were forbidden.

Something that every russ has is large quantities russe-cards. Whenever they wear their russe-clothes, they have to bring them and hand them out to everyone that mentions them. These cards have a photo of the individual student, their name, and a few lines with whatever opinon he/she may have on any matter. They compete to make these few lines as original as possible. Especially children collect and use these cards as trading-cards.

The russ often has "most wanted"-lists (or "black" lists) where they write up everyone they would like to have revenge on. If your name is on any of these "Black" lists, it makes it "legal" to any russ to humiliate you every possible way. Incidents have been reported about students being tied naked in the trees for hours.

On 17th of May many places has a russe-parade, where the russ may do all they can to attract attention. This can be crying out opinions, throw water at the crowd, shock or amuse.

It's worth mentioning that the rules of the Knots are different in every school almost every year. Every school has it's own paper which is published once a year, where the chairman of the russ has made it official how to obtain the knots.

Possibly more to follow soon. If you wonder about something, just ask. smiley - smiley


Thread Moved

Post 22

Ormondroyd

Thanks for all that, Tilly - I will add it to the new edition of the Entry. smiley - smiley

The main thing I still want to get clear is whether the people doing all this are 'graduates' in the British/American sense - that is, people leaving education for good, before looking for jobs - or people leaving school before going on to do more studying at a college or university. It sounds as if it's probably people going on to college/university, but I just want to be sure! (In that case, they'd probably be called 'undergraduates' in Britain.)

Also, what DOES that request to the man in a suit mean? 'Don't be so effective' sounds quite funny! smiley - biggrin Is the idea that he shouldn't be so serious about his job?


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 23

Spiff

Hi Tilly et al

Wow!

This is a great article. I love it. smiley - smiley

Personally, although I too am intrigued to know how businessmen are expected to react to an imprecation to be 'less effective' (presumably, stop being so smiley - bleep businesslike!) I am even more impressed with anyone who can whistle 'Baa, baa, black sheep' with ten biscuits in their mouth!

The re-write is a great improvement and well worthwhile. Thanks.

One tiny point - "The hats and trousers are colour-coded depends on what subject the student is studying." I assume either the word 'way' is missing at the beginning or something of the kind. Needs correcting.

Otherwise, way to go! smiley - ok Get it back in PR asap? I think so!

Spiff


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 24

Tilly - back in mauve

Well, either way, if it's going into the business world or to another school, they are still russ.

Well, the one with the business man is that you basically tell him that the world is a nice and wonderful place and that he mustn't be so serious. smiley - smiley

That's mostly how the russeknute-rules go; either do something stupid, something nice or something cruel. smiley - smiley


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 25

Ormondroyd

Apologies for not being around for a while - I've been having problems with my computer. smiley - sadface

Anyway, I have now done an update, and I think that the Entry is just about ready to go back into Peer Review now. Hope you agree (especially Tilly!)


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 26

Spiff


Yep, looking good! smiley - ok

You still there, Tilly? If I were you, I'd get it back in PR and prepare to bask in the glory. smiley - biggrin

Spiff


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 27

Ormondroyd

Tilly, are you there? If you don't post here before then, I'll start a new PR thread for the Entry on New Year's Day. I think that'd be a good way to start 2002! But I would like to be sure that you're happy with the new version of the Entry before I do that. smiley - smiley


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 28

Tilly - back in mauve

Sorry, Chirstmas among other things has made me offline for some time...

Yes, yes, it's looking good. smiley - smiley

But what about all the information I gave you on post No. 21? Would you mind putting it up?


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 29

Ormondroyd

Not at all. Sorry, Tilly - I too was offline for a long time due to computer problems, and I forgot about that (very informative) posting. I'll get on to it today!


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 30

Tilly - back in mauve

No rush. smiley - smiley I've got all the time in the world.


What's the Norwegian word for 'Wow!'

Post 31

Ormondroyd

I've got most of it in there now - there's just the bits about the cards and the blacklists still to do. I think they'll have to go in a new section at the end, since they're not part of the 'knots' business.

Watch this space. I'll have it all done before 2002! smiley - smiley


Please take a look at the latest version!

Post 32

Ormondroyd

OK, Tilly: as promised, I've done some more work on the Entry. I've added a new section dealing with the cards and the blacklists. I've also changed the title again, because in Britain a student who hasn't yet passed their final exams can't be called a 'graduate'. So, as you'll see, I've gone for 'The Colourful Traditions Of Norwegian Students'.

In English, 'colourful' can just mean 'having lots of bright colours', but it can also mean something a bit wild, mad and exciting! So I thought that title was appropriate, because the students are dressing in colourful clothes and having a 'colourful' time. I hope you approve!

I also hope that I've understood the colour coding of the russ clothes correctly. You said in the original Entry: 'If you're studying general education, you clothes are red; If Health and Sosial practise - white; Mechanics - black; and finally Economy - blue'.

I've taken that to mean that that those wearing white would be training to be doctors and nurses, or learning how to do a job in which they help people with problems. I've taken 'mechanics' to mean 'engineering' - which is to say that the people in black clothes would be learning how machines work, and perhaps learning how to build machines and buildings. 'Economy' I've taken to mean those learning how businesses and the economies of countries work; and 'general education' just sounded as if it meant 'anything else'! If I've misunderstood, please tell me!

One last question: is 'russ' the plural of 'russ'? In other words, can you talk about one russ, two russ or 100 russ, or does the Norwegian word change if you have more than one russ?

Anyway, please take a look at the Entry and see what you think of it now. I definitely now think that we're close to having not just a finished Entry, but also a really great Entry! smiley - smiley


Please take a look at the latest version!

Post 33

Tilly - back in mauve

Yes, it looks great, if I may say so. smiley - biggrin I Love the new title, too!

I just noticed that in a footnote, you wrote: "The first recorded use of the term russ occurs in the book Erasmus Montanus' by Ludvig Holdberg. The first mentioning of russ was in 1723, in the book 'Erasmus Montanus' by Ludvig Holdberg" so maybe you should just mention it once? smiley - winkeye

And, yes, the colour coding is correct, as far as I know. smiley - smiley

It can be confusing, but 'russ' is actually the correct plural use of 'russ'. "One russ, two russ, three russ..."

You have my absolute approval!


Please take a look at the latest version!

Post 34

Ormondroyd

smiley - doh Curses! I tried several different ways to make that footnote work, and didn't notice that I'd left two different attempts in. smiley - blush

But that's easily fixed. I'll do so, and then it's Peer Review time! smiley - biggrin


Onward to Peer Review!

Post 35

Ormondroyd

OK - the footnote has been fixed, and a new Peer Review thread started at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=158824 . :-)


Onward to Peer Review!

Post 36

Tilly - back in mauve

Thank you so much for everything. I wouldn't have made it without you! smiley - smiley


Onward to Peer Review!

Post 37

Ormondroyd

Thank you! smiley - blush It was a pleasure, and finally finishing this Entry is a good way to end 2001. smiley - smiley

But hey, we haven't made it yet! There's still Peer Review to get through! smiley - bigeyes


Onward to Peer Review!

Post 38

Tilly - back in mauve

I know, but just finishing it is a great thing for me. smiley - smiley


Onward to Peer Review!

Post 39

Ormondroyd

Me too. Happy 2002! smiley - smileysmiley - bubbly


Thread Moved

Post 40

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The Writing Workshop' to 'The Colourful Traditions of Norwegian Students'.


Key: Complain about this post