A Conversation for The Standard Model of Particle Physics

Help!

Post 1

U195408

Umm, I'm a physical chemist, so I know basic atomic structure but nothing more - so bear with me.

At one point the author says that bosons are only forces, not matter. But neutrons are bosons, and traditionally they've been thought of as material parts of the nucleus. So are the neutrons the manifestation of the strong nuclear force holding the protons together, or is the boson rule not universal?


Help!

Post 2

Mammuthus Primigenius

Hmm... how to explain this without ten pages of statistical physics.. I'll think about it.

The claim that bosons are forces is very simple, it's not a rule. It is just that the fermions in the standard model can be considered fundamental particles of matter. And the bosons in the standard model are the exchange particles for the fundamental forces.


Help!

Post 3

U195408

So the simple rule only applies to the fundamental particles then, which protons, and neutrons are not.
I do know some statistical physics, so if you want to explain that would be great.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more