A good way to learn about GuideML quickly

3 Conversations

This is taken directly from a GuideML FAQ1 which you can find on the full official guide to GML page. It it is the best advice I've seen yet as to how to make use of a maximum of GuideML features with a minimum of Mark-up Language skills. Basically, you pinch the knowledge of a complete stranger!smiley - biggrin

How *do* they do that?

One of the best ways to learn how to use GuideML is to see how other Researchers have done it. If you would like to see what the GuideML looks like in entries, simply type in the URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Test123456 where 123456 is the A number of the entry you wish to view the GuideML for. The A number can be found in the 'entry data' box in the top right hand corner of each entry.

So, for this entry, A662384, you'd look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Test662384 (remembering to leave out the letter 'A').

It's slightly different for a Personal Space, though

If you want to look at the GuideML for someone's Personal Space, then type in the URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/TestUserPage123456 where 123456 is the U number of the Researcher you wish to view the GuideML for.

I put this up because I had forgotten what the necessary commands were to look at other peoples pages in GML. At worst it will serve only as a reminder to me if I forget again. At best, perhaps someone else may find it useful.

smiley - ok
1Except for changing the A-number to this one!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A662384

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more