A Conversation for Conkers


Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

I discovered today that the string used to suspend a conker, which is often an old bootlace or animal sinew is called a drangle. Strictly the drangle is measured from the conkerto first contact with the hand and does not include the bit within the conker, the knot at the end or the bit around the hand.
Drangle is an East Yorkshire term and there are many other, regional, names: swizzle, noose, floccle.

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more