Greebo's Big One

1 Conversation



It's Wednesday already, and I woke up this morning and realised that I hadn't done this week's 'Big One'. So, rushing to my computer I hastily, though with great skill and professionalism, threw together this week's vote. A moral dilemma this one folks; what will you decide to do?

:o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o;:o)(o::o)(o::o)(o:




Would you like your say on the big issues of the day? Well here's your chance, click below to get transported to Greebo's voting booth, where you can answer the question of the week.

Results will be printed in two weeks time.



VOTE HERE

:o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o:

GREEBO'S BIG ONE RESULTS




This was the question asked a couple of weeks ago, and below is the results of the voting...

Which is your favourite book genre?

  • 36% of H2G2 researchers say that fantasy is by far the best book genre.

  • But another 36% of H2G2 researchers also say that science fiction is the best book genre.

  • A quite modestly big 21% of researchers admitted that they can't read.

  • A soppy 3% of researchers believe that romance is the only book for them.

  • Another 3% believed that film/tv tie in's, were the books to read.

  • A final 1% of H2G2 researchers were too interested in reading the question to answer.





This vote I have to say, was the biggest since Greebo's Big One started. Still hardly surprising since reading has probably brought 98% of us to h2g2.

It's a shame that there was no clear winner, Fantasy and Science Fiction both receiving the same number of votes. Though, if you people are anything like me, then you actually like both genre's, so maybe that's the reason.

A startling large proportion of readers can't read, which is a mind bogglingly odd fact!!! Hmmm... is bogglingly an actual word? Does it matter... ~grin~... 21% of you won't be able to read it anyway... ~bigger grin~... so am I sitting here, writing to myself?? Time to end this before I depress myself, see you next week folks.



SOME INTERESTING DEFINITIONS OF SCIENCE FICTION.


Ray Bradbury

Science fiction is really sociological studies of the future, things that the writer believes are going to happen by putting two and two together.

-----------------------------------



Frank Herbert

Science fiction represents the modern heresy and the cutting edge of speculative imagination as it grapples with Mysterious Time---linear or non-linear time.

-----------------------------------



Kingsley Amis

Science Fiction is that class of prose narrative treating of a situation that could not arise in the world we know, but which is hypothesized on the basis of some innovation in science or technology, or pseudo-technology, whether human or extra-terresial in origin.

-----------------------------------



Isaac Asimov

Modern science fiction is the only form of literature that consistently considers the nature of the changes that face us, the possible consequences, and the possible solutions.


That branch of literature which is concerned with the impact of scientific advance upon human beings.

-----------------------------------



Gregory Benford

SF is a controlled way to think and dream about the future. An integration of the mood and attitude of science (the objective universe) with the fears and hopes that spring from the unconscious. Anything that turns you and your social context, the social you, inside out. Nightmares and visions, always outlined by the barely possible.

:o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o::o)(o:


Send your letters and anything else to me here:- Greebo T. Cat


Thanks again everyone...

Greebs

25.10.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A648759

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more