A Conversation for Having a Dog 'Put to Sleep' (UK)

Home visits for putting to sleep:A few corrections

Post 1

Alfster

I need to correct you on a few of the points you made below based on my experience of a friend having her dogs put to sleep at home (Oh, and 'the Euthanasia *solution* sounds far too management/advertising speak:

Having Your Dog Put to Sleep at Home

There will be no assistant available, if they are needed. *A NURSE ACCOMPANIED THE VET ON THE VISIT*

As your dog is in his or her own territory, they may not be as cooperative as they would more likely be in the vet's surgery room.*I WOULD DISAGREE WITH IT. THE FACT THAT A DOG IS SO BAD THAT THEY NEED TO BE PUT TO SLEEP REDUCES THE CHANCE OF NON-COOPERATION. ONE DOG KNEW SHE WAS DYING, THE OTHER COULDN'T ACTUALLY WALK.*

What to do with your dog once he or she has passed away, which will very likely be followed shortly after with emptying their bladder and bowels (not a problem in the vet's surgery room).*WRAPPED IN THEIR FAVOURITE BLANKET AND TAKEN BY THE VET*

The extra cost of an out of hours visit. *THIS ONE WAS 'IN HOURS' AND FOR AN EXTRA £30 THE FACT THAT YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN HOME WITH THEM IS WORTH THE EXTRA CASH.*

You will also have to arrange the cremation for your dog, and for your chosen cremation service to collect your dog's body.*NOT WITH THIS VET. HE TOOK THEM AWAY (THEY WERE PUT DOWN ON TWO SEPARATE OCCASIONS) CREMATED THEM AND BROUGHT THE ASHES BACK*

If you are determined this is the best way for your dog despite the impracticalities, you may need to contact several vets before you find one who is willing. *QUITE POSSIBLE. LUCKILY MY FRIEND HAD USED THIS VET FOR SOME TIME. IT'S NOT BEYOND THE WIT OF MAN THAT VETS WILL KNOW WHICH VETS IN THE AREA WILL DO HOME VISITS.*

smiley - popcorn

Personally, based on the two dogs and my friend a home visit is the best thing. Unless your dog takes a major turn for the worse quickly you will have a bit of time to prepare for things. You can stay at home a spend a last bit of time with your dog. And you may not be in a fit state to drive back home after the deed has been done...quite possibly crying your eyes out.

The vet was superb on the occasions, he even left the little bits of fur he had to shave off to administer the drugs.

smiley - popcorn

A very good entry overall. Very factual which is what is needed. I would suggest changing the 'home visit' section as it makes it sound difficult and possibly not the best way when in fact I think it's a good way.

Possibly suggest people ask about home visits for this sort of thing when the dog is well since it's a good possibility that the dog will be put to sleep at some point and better to be prepared.


Key: Complain about this post

Home visits for putting to sleep:A few corrections

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more