A Conversation for Detroit, Michigan, USA

Why diss the Wolverines?

Post 1

Deidzoeb

I won't bother to argue whether Ann Arbor is a suburb of Detroit, because I don't think anyone who really knows the area would take that statement seriously. But do you have anything more than anecdotal evidence to support the claim that "UM is an overly large state college which concentrates on sports at the expense of academics?" Personally I wouldn't mind if sports were eradicated. The money would be much better spent on academics. But then I tend to believe that silverware and lawn care across the world are decadent, and the money should be spent on health care, education, etc. Meanwhile, which academic areas at U of M have suffered? Top ranked medical centers, 9th ranked medical school according to US News & World Report, 1st ranked school of social work, et cetera?

I'm not saying this claim should be removed from the Detroit article, just add a phrase like "according to my friends" or something to show what the claim is based on.


Why diss the Wolverines?

Post 2

Sam

Hi there - I've put in the words 'according to some' to acknowledge your point. Hope this helps. smiley - smiley


Why diss the Wolverines?

Post 3

Deidzoeb

Thanks, Sam.


Why diss the Wolverines?

Post 4

njvree

the diss on U of M is completely irrelevant and serves no purpose other than discrediting the entire article. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more