A Conversation for 1940 London through a Canadian Soldier's Eyes

Great Story!

Post 1

Barneys Bucksaws

What a great story! My father was in London in 1942-1943, and tried to find family. They, unfortunately had moved to their summer place in Maidenhead, but for a long time he didn't know that - Canadian mail from my Mom being what it was. Dad was a Gunner in the RCA - and Mom wore a yellow ribbon all the time he was overseas - we found the ribbon in her treasure box when she passed away in 1989. Some of the places meantioned, and situations read like Dad's stories. I'll point this out to my son, who's a history buff.


Great Story!

Post 2

Ormondroyd

Great to see this in the Guide! smiley - smiley

I can't remember another Christmas when peace on earth and goodwill to all seemed such a distant prospect, but here's hoping... smiley - xmastreesmiley - peacedove


Great Story!

Post 3

Madent

A touching letter.

My Grandad was a medic in the British Army, seconded to a Canadian regiment for the D-Day landings. He had only good words to say about the men he was with.

Good luck with finding out more about the people in the letter.

Madent


Great Story!

Post 4

David Conway

Glad you all liked it! I wasn't sure about getting it into the guide at first, since 1) It's a personal experience story (minor concern) and 2) The letter was published in a Canadian newspaper, so I wasn't sure if there could be copyright issues. Once the Editors said I was okay on copyright, I had to give it a shot. Basically, I was feeling lazy and still wanted to add something to Peer Review. Plus, he wrote pretty well for a man with only a grade 9 (age 14) education.

NBY


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 1940 London through a Canadian Soldier's Eyes

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more