A Conversation for Internet Addiction

Well... er...

Post 1

Tilly - back in mauve

Totally. Since I got it in... I guess it was about 1997, but how long I've had it isn't important, it's more how often I'm on-line.

I have this daily routine I *have* to get through, or else I'm dangerous to myself and others. smiley - winkeye

I most often operates with two windows at a time, so if I'm loading something on the one I have the other.

1 window:
I go to the Michael Ball fan club forum and check all the posts. Then I go to the Ballpoint site (a Michael Ball site) to check for updates. Then I check the AboutMichael site (another Michael Ball site) for updates. Then I check the official Michael Ball site for updates. Then I check the Balliosi site (another... you guessed it: Michael Ball site) and look at the daily picture calendar there (and in December, their extra Christmas calendar). Then I go to h2g2, since that's where I am most of the time.

2 window:
I check my Hotmail account. Then I check my older, retired Hotmail account. After that, I just surf for hours whatever I'm interested in at the moment.

If I don't do this every day, I go out of my skull. My father almost killed me when he got the telephone bills (we had ISDN back then - now we have ADSL).

If I don't earn the internet addict-prize I don't know who does. smiley - biggrin


Well... er...

Post 2

Evil Zombie Strider

I've actually gotten to the point where in normal conversation I will attempt to use h2g2 smileys by making "<" and ">" motions with my hand, and drawing the code for the smiley I wish to use in the air. So, if I'm congratualating somebody, in the middle of my paragraph I will randomly trace "< bubbly >" into the air, half expecting a smiley - bubbly to appear.

-Strider smiley - footprints


Well... er...

Post 3

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

know what you mean Strider...
I keep talking in smileys, and writing them in real letters!

I love using the internet - I can do without it, especially when I'm travelling and can't get to it.
But when I'm at home I HAVE to check emails, H2G2 and various other sites where I have friends. Takes a little while to say the least!


Well... er...

Post 4

Cinek

You think you're so tough, because you use smileys in normal letters ? smiley - winkeye
I've never ever written a regular letter and use mail services only to get items ordered in Internet shops.

Criously, I don't have to surf the 'Net every day (although when I start, I can sit for hours, esp. recently as I have got a 24h/day connection to the "world", oh yeah!). Anyway, I spend a lot of time in front of my (and not only mine smiley - winkeye) computer.

I keep telling myself that I can stop anytime I want (never really wanted to smiley - smiley) and when I am spending holidays in mountains or somewhere I can live without the machine.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more