A Conversation for Renting Accommodation

Landlords' Agents

Post 1

Dark Side of the Goon

I had an amusing experience with a particular minor functionary.

I rented a room in a shared house. When I arrived, the building was in a poor state of repair, with major subsidance in evidence and other signs of general neglect.

Within 28 hours of arriving, the house was broken into and some of my property was stolen. The Agent didn't seem that bothered. He eventually agreed that replacing the glass that was smashed wasn't actually our fault.

A few months later, one of the kitchen taps disintegrated,. It was plastic, rather old and due for replacement. The Agent treated this as if it was an act of malice on our part. Later, when the heating failed completely, he took two months to organise repairs. When Transco arrived, they more or less condemned the water heater on the spot. By this time, there was water coming through the kitchen ceiling, including one of the light fittings, and signs of the electrics falling apart.

Given that all of this was the responsibility of the landlord to replace or repair, trhe agent caused further amusement at his regular inspections.

Being an obsessive/compulsive type he would turn up and criticse us for living in a pig sty. At each occasion, the house was squeaky clean. He would also refuse to turn up if anyone was ill. During one period, I had flu and managed to buy us an extra two weeks to make some running repairs.

In short, when renting accomodation it helps if the person representing the landlord is NOT barking mad.


Landlords' Agents

Post 2

threesecondmemory

Sounds like a knightmare! So why doesn't this tale shock me? smiley - winkeye

I've had similar experiences to those you describe but your agent sounds particularly potty!


Landlords' Agents

Post 3

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Given that the landlords agents are not working for you, it is important to get an independant inventory done before you move in - the more detailed the better. If it is left to the agency they can (and will) accuse you of causing wanton damage and unless you have an inventory it is difficult to argue that you didn't do it. It is also a good idea to have a good look around the place before you move all of your stuff in (with the inventory in hand if possible) and check for things like dents and marks on the walls, stains on the carpets, areas not properly clean, cupboards and drawers not opening/closing properly etc. Taking a photo of each room can be useful as evidence too.

Send a copy of your complete list (and/or photos) to the agency in the first couple of weeks so that when they come to make deductions from your deposit because of damage, or cleanliness you have some grounds to argue against things that weren't your fault.


Landlords' Agents

Post 4

threesecondmemory

Sound advice.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more