A Conversation for Dylan Thomas - Poet

Llamedos...

Post 1

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

...was the name of a house I saw once, as a child, in Swansea. It wasn't until I read Under Milk Wood that the name made sense.

My granddad used to be a naval man and hung around many of the same pubs that DT did when he was still capable of going into a bar and ordering a pint (DT that is, not my granddad). He said he had a ferocious appetite for beer.


Llamedos...

Post 2

Ema - formerly Researcher 185964

My grandfather went to school with Dylan Thomas. He had a signed copy of the first edition of '18 poems' with the message 'one of the reos the mermaid knocked about a bit'. The Mermaid was a pub in Mumbles (around the bay from Swansea) and I think 'reo' was a cheap beer at the time so it pretty much summarises what they got up to together.

One of the stories in 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog' called 'Extraordinary Little Cough' is based on a holiday they took together. Apparently it was Dylan Thomas himself who ran the whole length of rhosilly bay (excuse spelling) and back - he was a very good runnner before he started drinking.


Llamedos...

Post 3

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Wow. That's well up on the usual 'Lloyd George knew my father' sort of stuff. I came from Swansea and so had DT's poetry rammed down my throat at school. I was never much good at Eng. Lit. and so I turned off when I had someone as abstruse as DT (for a twelve year old, anyway) quoted at me. Now I like it a lot. I can't say I respect the man as much as his works, though: he seemed like a bit of a waster.

I have never read 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog' in its entirity, but I enjoyed the short story about him and his mate smoking fags when they were nippers. Captured the essence of young boys brillantly. Are you an ex-Swansea person as well, BTW?

The FM


Llamedos...

Post 4

Ema - formerly Researcher 185964

No, I'm Oxford born and bred, but I had some great holidays staying with my grandparents in the Gower before my grandfather died. They lived on the sea front of Mumbles, just a few hundred meters from where the Mermaid pub was.


Llamedos...

Post 5

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

The Mumbles is a nice place. I spent many a happy childhood hour down near Bracelet Bay. However, I used to prefer to go further into the Gower when I could. Oxwich and Rhossili were my favourite haunts. We used to go our sea fishing in my mate's speedboat. Never caught anything, though. Apart from a nasty cold, once. I think my favourite place of all is Three Cliffs Bay, which is absolutely beautiful.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dylan Thomas - Poet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more