A Conversation for Glastonbury Town and Tor, Somerset, UK

Excellent

Post 1

Go-Go Girl

I had no idea the Tor was formed this way. Very interesting, and I like your writing style.

I especially love Glastonbury Tor around dawn, when it is surrounded by mist and resembles an island.

I would love to know exactly where the quarry you wrote of is? smiley - grovel

Go Go Girl smiley - smiley



Excellent

Post 2

Henry

Hi GO-GO. The quarry you're after is Dulcote quarry. It's still a working quarry, so ring up and ask permission (pretending to be a geology student). They once had a little hut near the entrance selling interesting minerals, but I don't know if it's still there. Let me know how you get on.
You from arounf these parts?
Frogbit.


Excellent

Post 3

Go-Go Girl

Hi Frogbit (which bit of the frog are you?)smiley - smiley

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, I'm not from around these parts, but I have over the years, for one reason or another, spent a considerable amount of time down here (Somerset that is). Also, I have family who moved near Somerton some 5 years ago,and my nephew has started at pre-prep school in Glastonbury.
Anyway, it tends to be my bolthole when London becomes too claustrophobic. I think the countryside is stunning, and having a great interest in rocks and crystals, as well as all things esoteric, I have to admit I enjoy going to Glastonbury (though I am far from 'new-age'!)

If i could, I think I would be very happy living in the West Country.

Go-Go Girl


Excellent

Post 4

Henry

I am.


Excellent

Post 5

Henry

Ps
Not *that* bit!


Excellent

Post 6

Go-Go Girl


It hadn't entered my mind it might be *that* bit. smiley - yikes

I thought perhaps that *other* bit? smiley - winkeye

GGG


Excellent

Post 7

Henry

Good guess. Try again.


Excellent

Post 8

Go-Go Girl

*after a month spent pondering which *bit* of frog Frogbit is...*

Okay, I give up...(you didn't mean *that other* bit, surely, did you...? smiley - winkeye

Talking of bits, I intend to visit that quarry this weekend, if possible. Unfortunately I've been unable to get to Somerset for the last month, so this visit is well overdue.

Just read your Wells entry. There are things far more disturbing than that instrument of torture on the wall of that pub when one is having lunch in the courtyard, such as huge big slugs sliding over barely shod feet. smiley - yikes

Go-Go smiley - smiley


Excellent

Post 9

Henry

The name is Dulcote quarry - I don't know which company owns it, but if you track them down on maybe YELL or directory inquiries you can give them a ring. They'll need you to sign an indemnity form (which they might keep at the site office), unless they're still selling stuff near the main entrance. Let me know, I'll be interested in what you'll find their.
Frogbit.


Excellent

Post 10

Henry

*There.*


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Glastonbury Town and Tor, Somerset, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more