A Conversation for French Public Holidays

French Public Holidays

Post 1

Also ran 1

Mighty interesting to read about the public holidays in France. I found it to be quite the opposite!. When I was on holiday in the Haute Savoie one summer I rushed around buying stores because I assumed that all the shops would be shut on Bastille Day. I was assured by all the shop assistants that this was not the case. "We are obliged to be open when there are guests in the village in order to make up for when we have no customers.". I thought that this was a really pracical answer to the problem.


French Public Holidays

Post 2

Whisky

That's the advantage of tourist areas, the shopkeepers are out to make money smiley - winkeye... The worst thing I've ever seen is trying to find a chemist open on a bank holiday, between 12 noon and 2 pm ( In the second largest city in France, there wasn't one single chemist open)


French Public Holidays

Post 3

Also ran 1

Dear Mr. Whisky Protector, Don't you know that the two hours between 12 noon and 2 p.m. are sacred in France. It is the time to get together and consume the quite delicious food which has been prepared. You really cannot expect a poor chemist to do without his/her midday meal, and attend to mere mortals who have a problem!! Have you not noticed that between those precious hours the traffic on the road consists only of foreign cars beating their way to their destinations whilst the French sit in some lovely little glade eating their casse-croute and all the lovely things which they have for a piknique. By the way is it Bells' you drink - or some beautiful vintage brew?


French Public Holidays

Post 4

Also ran 1

Hi, thanks for your reply. But I must rush to the defence of the shopkeepers in France. Have you not noticed that 12noon to 2 p.m. are sacred, halcyon hours in France wherever you are. They are the hours when the most important meal of the day, delicious, tempting and entirely satisfying is taken, en famille. Do you really think that a mere mortal with some sort of problem would drag any self-respecting chemist/family person away from this ritual? What is striking as well is that during these two hours the roads in France are not congested with speeding motorists. The French are sitting next to their cars in some little glade, taking their midday meal in a tranquil fashion and watching all the frenzied foreigners rushing to their destinations. Well, nice to mee you.


French Public Holidays

Post 5

Also ran 1

Sorry for the double reply - error of posting!!


French Public Holidays

Post 6

Whisky

Hello again,

I'll respond to your message in reverse order.

Firstly Bells: smiley - sadfacesmiley - yuksmiley - hangoversmiley - run

(smileys are wonderful things, they say it all really).

I've an unfortunate liking for various single malts, but don't ask me which, it really depends on the time of day and what I'm feeling like.
The word "unfortunate" in the previous phrase refers to the cost of my prefered bottles smiley - sadface.

Secondly, please forgive me for even considering making disparaging remarks about the French.

(NB. The above sentence should not be taken seriously smiley - winkeye )

The trouble is that I've been living out here in France for about 5 - 6 years now, and 'froggie bashing' is one of my favourite pastimes.

My motto, France would be a wonderful place, if the French didn't live there.

PS. You're not French are you?

smiley - cheers
whisky

PPS. Never take me seriously, I don't, so I don't see why anyone else should smiley - biggrin


French Public Holidays

Post 7

Also ran 1

Mais oui, mon ami - conceived in Corsica,born and lived for my first sixty odd years in the colonies(British!!) spoke French as my mother tongue which in an English colony was not de rigeur. As a child had a dreadful time during playtime as my horrid friends used to surround me telling me that I ate frogs legs (which I had'nt at that time) and snails (which I now love) I suppose I was smiley - bruised but I used to reply by admitting to everything and probably even putting my <tongueout) but I just think your sense of humour is superb and each time I read your reply I not only have a smiley - biggrin but also literally shake my wheelchair with my guffaws.I'm not feeling amusing today, or scintillating, or witty but hopefully will be more on the ball next time I make contact with the Grand Protector of half empty whisky bottles. AR I wonder why the smiley - tongueout smiley did not appear!!


French Public Holidays

Post 8

Also ran 1

Oh yes I can see why now. Pardon.AR


French Public Holidays

Post 9

Whisky

OMG smiley - doh

I've been insulting the French whilst talking to a Corsican Bandit* smiley - run.

smiley - grovel Please, kind sir, I didn't mean it, I love the french really smiley - grovel.



* Note to third parties reading this thread: The Corsicans taught the Sicilians all they know about Public Relations and politics!


French Public Holidays

Post 10

Also ran 1

Alas! Alack! I am undone. How did you guess that you were communicating with a smiley - weird Corsican Bandit?! Pleeze don't tell anyone. By the way I am proud of my ancestry, and of all the island homes that the great Bonaparte lived on. But the Eeenglissh sure stuck him away on St. Helena. Thousands of miles away from land, and to get onto the island you have to climb up THOUSANDS of steps. Not the place for a wheelchair. I have been so smiley - cheeruped with your wonderful description so hope to have something more to laugh about soon. In the meantime enjoy your smiley - orangefishsoup - is that the colour of rascasse? It certainly is the colour of rouille. A bientot. AR/CB Incidentally I am trying to discipline myself with the time I spend at my computer otherwise I would be here all day. Hence the late reply, which has had me laughing for five days.!!


French Public Holidays

Post 11

Whisky

Hello again, just noticed you'd signed up for the meet in January, I must admit, I'm very tempted, but I've got to figure out if I can take the time off work and get across to the UK for the weekend (and if i'll have enough money to do it). but hopefully, I'll see you in January...
If not, don't drink too much smiley - bubbly...

I was just wondering... Have the police ever prosecuted anyone for being drunk in charge of a wheelchair smiley - silly

Now that would be worth a photo

smiley - cheers
whisky


French Public Holidays

Post 12

Also ran 1

No self-respecting CB even gets pie-eyed on smiley - bubbly. You should know that. Now if I had to have even have a drop of malt whisky I could probably be courageous to go on the Eurostar, and end up some super little village in France. You are SOOOO lucky to live there. And don't worry about froggy bashing. We have learnt to understand zee Eeenglish and their weird sense of humour. We had a friend who could not speak a word of French but when he went to France used to speak English very loudly - expecting everyone to understand him. Of course they did not but were too polite to say so. Someone has suggested that I should come to the party dressed as a smiley - pirate - naturally a Corsican one. I think that I would probably also have a wheel removed so that I can sway into the party and pretend to be tipsy even if I am not. I must away A friend has just called. Keep well and start saving!! The Corsican smiley - pirate or Bandit.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for French Public Holidays

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more