Yarrow Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Yarrow

2 Conversations

Yarrow, also known as Nosebleed or Woundwort, is an ancient herb with an interesting history. It is said to hold many powers; the Greeks used it to control haemorrhages and legend has it that soldiers' wounds were healed with Yarrow leaves during the Trojan War.

The herb has often been associated with magic. The Druids used yarrow stems to forecast the weather and foretell the future. In interpreting the I Ching, the ancient Chinese book of prophecy, the ancients used to cast dried Yarrow stalks. Modern users of the I Ching employ three coins instead. A bunch of Yarrow hanging in the house is said to avert illness.

Yarrow is still used in herbal medicine today. It is made into a decoction for chapped skin and rashes, and as a mouthwash for inflamed gums. It also speeds up decomposition if added to raw compost.

The alternative name of Nosebleed comes from the belief that a girl can tell whether her lover is faithful by tickling her nose with a spray of Yarrow. If blood gushes from her nose, he loves her and will never look at another woman1.

Please Note: h2g2 is not a definitive medical resource. If you have any health concerns you must always seek advice from your local GP. You can also visit NHS Direct or BBC Health Conditions.

1There is a lot to be said for hiring a private eye instead.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A631621

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more