A Conversation for Applying to University

Oxbridge: Second/Third Colleges

Post 1

Casanova the Short

Hi,

This page mentions something along the lines of choosing "backwater" colleges for second and third choice, to increase your chances of success if you get "pooled". I'm a Second-Year undergraduate at Wadham College, Oxford (my first choice) and when I applied via the usual system, UCAS and seperate Oxford application form - I was only allowed to choose my first college. This is true of most courses apart from medecine and maybe a couple of others I think. The second and third choices are randomly allocated by computer - mine were St. Edmund's (Teddy) Hall and University which was a pita as I didn't like either of them!
A rather bleak picture of the college system was painted too. You aren't expected to - and indeed aren't going to - fit in with EVERY member of your college, but you do end up with loads of friends from different subjects/disciplines/backgrounds at college. There are also the tons of people on your course who all come from different colleges, and then you meet their friends from those (and other) colleges.....

CtS


Key: Complain about this post

Oxbridge: Second/Third Colleges

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more