A Conversation for Applying to University

Do it because you want to.

Post 1

Solsbury

Lots of top advice here already - apply somewhwere different to your mates, live in halls for the first year, how to do the mdicine/oxbridge application, do something you enjoy.

Mine is do it because you want to do it. Don't just apply and go to university because all your mates are doing it or that you're getting pressured from school or parents that you should go. It's a long time, takes more and more money these days and just by getting a degree doesn't guarantee you'll get a job you'll like. Everything is much easier if you're somewhere you want to be, doing a subject you want to do and enjoy.


Do it because you want to.

Post 2

Researcher 185462

I had the bad luck of getting two unconditional offers which made it difficult to choose which university I wanted to attend....Hull is very academically sound and higher on the league tables than Sheffield Hallam (SHU) but I decided to stay in my home town of Sheffield for the duration of my University course as I'm nearly 21 and not as insecure as most people starting out at university plus I have my own flat and have my favourite pub close to hand so why bother uprooting to a different city?

All in all I plan on working fairly hard and playing VERY hard but I know I love Sheffield and I enjoy the subject I'm studying.


Do it because you want to.

Post 3

Solsbury

Sounds like you've got a bunch of good reasons for staying where you are.
Hope you enjoy it smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more