A Conversation for 'Big Brother' - the TV Programme (UK)

big brother 'censorship'

Post 1

Researcher jaw25yo

Having digitalTV it's been good to watch BB live,

Not a good idea at 7am - 12pm as most of the housemates are asleep.

During these hours,some of the 'content' is seen by E4 as 'unsuitable for daytime viewing' such offenceive things happen like, someone making porrige, a cup of tea or,OH MY GAWWWD putting their socks on (ok the last would be offensive itf it were Spenser!)Some of the coversaions are omited for no reason as well.Why?????

Anyway,getting to what made me think about the censorship in BB is earier this week I was watch the live version at 11pm and the discusion between the housemates was, 'Are The BB Producers wanting to 'chuck out' 'Stikred' persons? Someof this conversaion was overdubbed by the 'birdsong' Or closeups of Jade's bum or cleavage. As there where two peopletaliking, (thru the bars!) BB decided to 'censor' iteven more byshowing usthe chicken coupat night!

Now, to me this one clip, (some of youmight have more to back me up or not as the case my be) feels as if anything said against BB is omitedfromthe transmission so the public don't turn the TV channel over. Secondly thisconversaion was interseting (until a unpresedented commercail break came up, athe previous was 5 minutes before. Then the following night I watch the BB update, between 10.30pm and 1.30pm there was nothingreported. So channel4 also have censored that part of the showout too.

So who is BB watching? Thehousemates? The Viewers? Who?

Also are they trying to sway public opinion or tratingthe publicas stupid?

Also how do we know that when BB goesinto birdson (on E4) that the housemates are beingtold to say or what not to say in front of the camera.

Be carefull BigBrother Is Watching (and censoring)


big brother 'censorship'

Post 2

Abs

I haven't got digital tele and I didn't want to pay to watch it on the Net. I agree with what you say about the censorship - maybe it's because people are talking about brand names and they don't want to advertise them or get in trouble if the housemates slate them.


big brother 'censorship'

Post 3

GreyDesk

Accotding to the Producers, the birdsong is to drown out the f*****g swearing.


big brother 'censorship'

Post 4

Abs

I don't understand why they should do that late at night for swearing... it's annoying. smiley - groan


big brother 'censorship'

Post 5

GreyDesk

Its all about context. Bad language is acceptable in say, a drama series, but not on live television. Its the broadcasting standards guidelines that they have to follow, and they are pretty strict.


big brother 'censorship'

Post 6

Frankie Roberto

I think it's less about swearing (though that might be a part of it during daytime) and more about possible legal problems with the housemate's conversations, eg. if they are talking about auntie ann's drink problem...


big brother 'censorship'

Post 7

GreyDesk

That is probably very true, I hadn't thought of that.

I did see an interview with a producer from Endemol who discussed the bad language issue. The broadcasting rules do differ depending upon context. For example the C-word can be used in dramas well after the watershed, and provided that the fact that bad language is in the programme is well flagged. However using that word on a live TV broadcast will get your nuts shot off.

BTW does anyone know if the streaming webcast is also censored? Or more prosaically does anybody know anyone who has shelled out the £9.99 it costs to get access to it?


big brother 'censorship'

Post 8

Frankie Roberto

I did, but mostly by accident.


big brother 'censorship'

Post 9

Researcher jaw25yo

i looked on BB's site, and it has to do with ITC's rules or something, sholdve looked b4 i started discussion!!

smiley - smiley


big brother 'censorship'

Post 10

Simon B

I would imagine that a certain amount of the silences are down to potential for libel. As the broadcaster, Channel 4 would probably be liable if someone who got an on-air slagging from a house member decided to sue.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more