A Conversation for Scotch Whisky

No Cragganmore?

Post 1

Mu Beta

Surprised my favourite malt didn't make your list.

The smoothest, most sublime scotch I've had in a long time. Earthy, grassy - makes a great chaser.

I also like Talisker, but that's a very acquired taste.

B


No Cragganmore?

Post 2

Whisky

I must admit that the "Classic Malt Series" aren't my favourites (Lagavulin, Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Talisker, Oban & Dalwhinnie)... Probably just snobery on my part coz they're being made in such large quantities. However, if you ever see a bottle, they did do a 14 year old Cragganmore, it has the same type of label as the normal version, but instead of being creamy white the label is dark green. What they've done is taken the normal version and after 12 years, instead of bottling it straight away they've thrown a small quantity of it into old port barrels for another two years.... Now that really is quite good, just a touch more fruity and rounded than the normal version. If you like Cragganmore I'll guarantee you'll love the Portwood finish version!


No Cragganmore?

Post 3

Mu Beta

I've seen it on sale and there's a bottle at the Wight Mouse (485 different single malt vintages at the last count), but I've never been rich enough to buy it. I'll bear it mind for birthday presents though smiley - ok

B


No Cragganmore?

Post 4

tenthumbs

They seem to produce more and more of these. Portwood finish, Madeira finish, even had the "Three wood" finish on the Irish Bushmills Malt a couple of years ago. Quite nice, *quite* expensive.
Personally, I've never had a better "dram" than the 18 year old Ardbeg, in the connaiseurs line a couple of years ago. But I've always been an Islay whiskey admirer. Lagavulin is great, as are Laproaigh, Port Ellen and Coal Isla. And the 17 year Bunnahabdain ain't bad either...*G*
But I can find something nice -and a moment to enjoy- any Single I've tried so far. Other highlights: Macallan (the 18 year is terrific!), had a 19- year old cask-strenght Glenfiddich thay was great, Talisker is very good, and the above mentioned Cragganmore is great after dinner with a nice espresso.


No Cragganmore?

Post 5

Santragenius V

Cragganmore smiley - smiley Macallan smiley - smiley Glemorangie smiley - smiley - and the Port Wood finished Glenmorangie is smiley - smileysmiley - smiley

But then - with the odd exception of Bunnahabdain, I am very much a Speyside man...


No Cragganmore?

Post 6

Whisky

The 16 year old Bushmills is excellent stuff - and that's praise from someone who usually can't stand Irish Whiskey.

And another surprise I tried a while ago. I've spent years telling everyone that Glenfiddich is a load of rubbish, however, they've recently started selling a fifteen and an eighteen year old version. I haven't tried the fifteen, but the eighteen is actually quite drinkable. smiley - yikes I never thought I'd be saying that about Glenfiddich.


No Cragganmore?

Post 7

Wand'rin star

For a long time Glenfiddiich was the only malt you could get in most African countries. Lot better than nothing (aka Johnny Walker Red). The 15 year old's OK smiley - star


No Cragganmore?

Post 8

tenthumbs

I used to feel the same about Glenlivet. However, their 19 yr. old cask strength totally blew me away!!. @56 % it was syrupy, sweet/evil, like Honey Smacks from Hell. Loved it....
Had a recent surprise, BTW: Laphroagh, only 5 years old, and decently drinkable; never thought a powerful single like this would be remotely palatable at this age, but it was surprisingly nice. Better than a 10 year old Port Ellen, actually....


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more