A Conversation for The Morris Minor - a Classic Car

Minor trivia

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Two pieces of trivia I remember from an old documentary...

First, it's not surprising that the engine of a Morris Marina is an easy fit - the Marina is just a modern body retrofitted to an unmodified Minor subchassis! A large section of the production line was left unaltered when they switched from producing the Minor to the Marina!

The second piece of trivia was a design point - one of the first steps in designing a new car body, at the time the Minor was being developed, was to carve a full-scale wooden model which could be used as a reference. The first attempt at the Minor looked top-heavy, so the model was split along its length with a band saw and some more wood glued in the middle to widen it. This is why the otherwise smooth curve over the bonnet "flattens out" in the middle. The original design drawings show the bonnet with a rounded "crown".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more