A Conversation for UK Petrol Stations

Free Gifts

Post 1

Pollux

Whilst not such a common sight at UK petrol stations as it was, surely no article about the filling station is complete without a mention of free gifts?

Usually these came in the form of a single, or set of (four generally) drinking glasses. Occasionally there would be a tie-in with a football World Cup where a series of coins of the members of the squad would be issued after a certain number of gallons of petrol had been bought.

These days the free gift has become more sophisticated. First came paper tokens that could be redeemed for gifts from a catalogue (who remembers Green Shield stamps?). Now you hand over a plastic card to have points added. Where has the romance gone?


Free Gifts

Post 2

Rob

Regular customers at the station I work at get discounted meals at our coffee + 'bakery'(pies, pasties and fried food). Now we're getting a new reward card which means another machine to understand.
Well, after not putting points on the old cards properly in my first 3 shifts; I would gladly welcome a more 'romantic'free gift.
We might even get a lottery machine to encourage people to part with more money.You need to take out a mortgage to buy stuff from our 24shop+garage.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more