A Conversation for The Dragon 32 and the Slaying of the Beast

Sinclair hotkeys

Post 1

IanG

The claim that the 'hotkeys', as this article describes them, actually made things harder is pretty surprising - they were a Good Thing as I recall. There were two significant advantages with the automatic expansion of keywords used by most of Sinclair's computers:

(1) it usually meant much less actual typing - for all the most popular keywords you only had to hit one key, and the entire word you wanted would appear. For the really obscure stuff it was a little tedious, but for most code it was just great. (Given the quality of Sinclair's keyboards before the Spectrum+ this keystroke saving was essential!)

(2) you had the inestimable advantage that ALL of the words in the language were written out on the keyboard. This meant that (unlike the article implies) you didn't have to memorise anything - it was all written down. It meant that you had a reference card at your fingertips. It also encouraged experimentation - when I had my Spectrum, I didn't rest until I'd found out what ALL of the keywords on the keyboard did, so it was a great contribution to the learning experience.



Then I got a BBC Micro...


Sinclair hotkeys

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"Single key programming" was available for the BBC too, in the form of the "Commander" ROM. I've got one lying round the house somewhere, complete with a sheet of unused keycap stickers... smiley - geek


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more