BASEketball

0 Conversations

*******Dreams...********

Have you ever sat and watched the television and wished you could be a sports hero like Zinedine Zidane, Michael Johnson, Johnny Wilkinson or Venus Williams? Well now you can!!!!

BASEketball is a sport where athletic ability counts for nothing and an ability to keep a cool head and be imaginative are the makings of a champion.

BASEketball was invented by a man called David Zucker as an alternative to normal basketball when he realised the less athletic people at his parties didn't enjoy themselves as much as they should. The game is essentially basketball played with baseball rules, thus BASEketball.

*******What you need*******

One Basketball,

One basketball hoop,

2 teams of three willing people,

Chalk or other markers.

Pad (for scoring).

Useful Extras

Beer,

Props,

Music,

Good weather.

*******How to play*******

The key to the game is advancing runners around a baseball square by making shots at basketball. A shot from near to the basket will advance each runner by one base (a single), ranging up to a shot from far away which automatically scores a runner, plus any runners which were on base (a home-run).

Firstly, mark points on the floor at a distance of 4, 8, 10 and 14 yards away from the hoop. The nearest is a single (advances all runners one base), the 8 yarder is a double (advances all runners 2 bases), the 10 yarder is a triple (advances all runners 3 bases) and the 14 yarder is a home run (all runners score).

When you're attacking

The first person on your team picks a shot. They then take the shot. If the shot goes in it puts a runner on that base and moves any other runners accordingly. If they miss this shot it counts as one out against your team. When your team reaching three outs it is the end of the inning, all base runners are removed, the number of runs you scored is talleyed up and it's the other teams turn to attack.

example - Top of the first inning - Homer Simpson steps up to the double line, takes his shot and makes it. This puts a runner on second base. Bart Simpson steps up to the single line, takes his shot and makes it. This means there are now runners on first and third base. Maggie Simpson steps up to the home-run mark, takes a shot and makes it. This scores three runs. Homer steps up to the double line again and takes a shot. He misses and Team Simpson now has one out. And so on until there are three outs.

As a rule, you can't take a shot from the same place more than three times in an inning except for the home-run mark.

When you're defending

This is where the fun begins! The defence in BASEketball is known as the psych-out. The defence nominates one person per shot who has to try to put off the shooter in any way they can. The only rule is that physical contact is not allowed. Known psych-outs range from simply shouting "boo!" when the person is about to take their shot to flashing them (this has happened!!), but don't blame me if the police get involved!!! Props are allowed at the users own risk and any psych-out which is offensive is banned. Generally, if people find it funny then it's alright.

example - top of the second inning - Homer steps up for another double and Milhouse lines up for the psych-out. As Homer is getting ready to shoot, Milhouse reveals a picture of Bart bunking off school. At the sight of the picture, Homer is totally put off and misses his shot.

Other things

The game lasts between seven and nine innings, the team with the most runs at the end of the game wins.

House rules are encouraged. Feel free to introduce new elements at your will, after all...we're playing to have fun right!

*******Ideal Conditions*******

Baseketball should be played with a beer in your hand, music playing in the background with everyone having a good laugh, maybe with a BBQ going for a bit of between innings refreshment. Just have fun!

David Zucker - "BASEketball is a game where you play with a beer in your hand and anyone can be the hero."

Also Look Up - BASEketball the movie..... at all good video stores.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A592021

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more