A Conversation for Orienteering - Sport of a Lifetime

geocaching

Post 1

42

orienteering is a lot of fun...i do a lot of it in my work as i am a field forester. now, geocaching is the next step...

www.geocaching.com (i think thats it, maybe www.geocache.com)

one of those...they use gps way points...coool stuff. thanks for the infor

42, a girl in the US


geocaching

Post 2

Iguana

Thanks for the info. Indeed, while orienteering only uses a map and compass, there are any number of different navigation games and sports that use other equipment. I had heard vaguely of geocaching (but I didn't know the name), and it sounds like something fun. I might try it in the future, if and when I purchase a GPS. Aside from this, there is also a competitive sport called ARDF (Ameteur Radio Direction Finding), or Radio Fox Hunting, which uses radio transmitters for the controls. Instead of having the locations pre-marked, however, ARDF competitors are equipped with a hand-held reciever antenna and a blank orienteering map. They then must triangulate each signal - there can be several controls, and each take turns transmitting separated by one-minute intervals - to find the location of the control. I tried it once - it is very difficult. There was actually a world championship in China last October. Then there's adventure racing, which often includes orienteering, among other skills. So right there, you have a navigation sport for your GPS buffs, one for your ameteur radio heads, and one for your massichists. If you are a buff of something else, you can bet there's a navigation sport including it. If not... make your own!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Orienteering - Sport of a Lifetime

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more