A Conversation for The Falkirk Wheel, Falkirk, Scotland, UK

Two questions

Post 1

Recumbentman

1 "Once loaded on the boat and driven onto the gondola" -- I don't know what the right word is, but surely it's not 'driven' for a boat?

2. "Each gondola [...] always carries 300 tonnes, of water only when empty, making a total weight of 400 tonnes" doesn't add up. Do you mean 600 tonnes? By Archimedes' principle it will weigh the same with or without a boat if the same water level is maintained, as it is automatically by overspill in a canal.


Two questions

Post 2

I'm not really here

I don't know what the word is either. If you can come up with one, then I'll get it changed.

I think the gondolas must weigh 100 tonnes, which gives 400 tonnes, but obviously don't have my notes so many years later.


Two questions

Post 3

Recumbentman

Interesting question. Ships sail, but somehow I don't think barges do. They used to be hauled, but now they are propelled. I think I'd say "Once loaded on the boat and floated onto the gondola".

Now I see what you mean by the total weight; I hadn't thought of the weight of the gondola itself. How about "Each gondola is five feet five inches deep, weighs 100 tonnes, and always carries 300 tonnes—of water when empty, or of barge-plus-water when loaded."


Two questions

Post 4

I'm not really here

My dad's got some books about barges, I might browse through to see what term they use.

I can't confirm that's where I got the figures from, it's not on their website. I'll try to remember to have a look online later to see if anyone else has the weights to confirm.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Falkirk Wheel, Falkirk, Scotland, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more