A Conversation for A Practical Definition of Pagan

this poor word

Post 1

VireoIbis

This happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
Paganism is not A religion. There are certainly pagan religion_s_. But the word is simply an umbrella term denoting those of us who are neither Moslem nor Christian nor practicing Jews. Thus i am a pagan and so is my husband, despite the fact that i'm Kemetic and he's SubGenius.
So are atheists, agnostics, Hindus, Buddhists, Shintos, Hellenics, ReligioRomanas, Asatruar, etc., etc.
There's a tendancy to confuse the trappings of Wicca with the entire range of pagan religions. Not all pagan religions cast circles, call quarters, practice duotheism, focus on solstices and equinoxes, etc.
Reconstuctionists and traditionalists naturally, attempt to practice their rites and lives according to the theologies, philosophies, and liturgies (when possible) of the ancient religions whose Gods have called them. Some of these religions emphasis magic, but certainly not all, and not all recons practice magick of any kind.
i could go on, but i'm sure everyone's gotten my point.


Key: Complain about this post

this poor word

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more