A Conversation for A Cup of Cake

Awful

Post 1

KB

I tried this recently - it was horrible! The texture was stodgy, leathery even - and it had a strange, almost fishy, flavour. I'm definitely not tempted to try it again.

There seemed to be some problem with it raising: it rose over the rim as described, but when I went to run a knife around the inside to take the "cake" out, I discovered that the cake was all at the top. The bottom four inches or so were just air! This was an interesting result, but it made me wonder. Shouldn't self-raising flour or some yeast be used?


Awful

Post 2

Marn1e

Of course it's awful, one egg to four tablespoons of plain flour? Yuk! try using heaped desert spoons of self raising flour.

The best recipie for sponge cake in any quantiy is to use a ratio. 1 egg: 2oz Self Raising Flour: 2oz Caster Sugar: 2oz fat (butter or marg) if using a lot of flavouring like dry coco powder, a bit of evening out weights might be required (ie a bit less flour) but not much.

For my 8" cake tin I use 6 of each dry to 3 eggs. I guess a mug would be 2 of each dry and one egg. I microwave the fat to melt it and make it easier to mix too.

give it a go!smiley - cake


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Cup of Cake

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more