A Conversation for Seven Secrets of Successful Programmers

Get the Spec Right

Post 1

Bald Bloke

I think the most important rule is missing.

Get the specification sorted before starting.

Make sure your very clear about what the code has to do, which things are nice extras but not essential.
and most important get it written down and signed off by the client and the users.


Get the Spec Right

Post 2

The Collector

Let's start right at the beginning. Get the user requirements right. Probably the hardest part, as the last thing the users want to do is think about what they really want. If you can't get the users to define what they want, you haven't a hope in hell of providing an acceptable solution.


Get the Spec Right

Post 3

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

But if you have a spec that the users have signed off on, then the users can change their mind all they want, and it just makes more business for you and all your cow-owkers.

(signed) Administrator-General 42, who's on Version 6 of his current project.


Get the Spec Right

Post 4

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

But if you have a spec that the users have signed off on, then the users can change their mind all they want, and it just makes more business for you and all your cow-owkers.

(signed) Administrator-General 42, who's on Version 6 of his current project.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more