April fool!!!

1 Conversation

There are many places to find April Fool's pranks on h2g2... not least the entry entitled Great April Fool's Jokes and Tricks which should lead you into a myriad of fun, and not so fun, practical jokes. Here at The Post we have found one so bang up-to-date that it was instigated last Sunday!

Sergeant Merry furious!

Greymouth (New Zealand) police are furious over an April Fool's Day hoax that has cost thousands of dollars.

Mawhera Quay was cordoned off after a suspected bomb was seen attached to the town's clock tower.

Police Sergeant Simon Merry says as the town does not have its own bomb squad, two members of a Christchurch disposal unit were flown to the coast by helicopter.

He says businesses in the area were shut down while police dealt with the situation.

Sergeant Merry says police are following a line of inquiry and are
optimistic the culprits will be found.


This reminds me of when a clock was reported to have appeared high up on a famous landmark in Milton Keynes, England. The 'Peace Pagoda', built by a Japanese peace movement group, was already a bone of contention amongst some residents, so to read that the Borough Council had spent inordinate amounts of money putting a clock on top of it brought furious letters from many residents who failed to notice the date of the report!... ed.


Sent in by Loonytunes


05.04.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A531028

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more