Holland

5 Conversations

Holland is the Home of the Dutch, who are famous for Colonising, Cheese, Canals, Coffee, Cannabis Legislation and generally being very tall, probably to act as wind-breakers in an otherwise very flat land.

About 40% of Holland is below sea level and is guarded by dunes (cool guys in leather and sunglasses), and dikes (butch women in dungarees and sensible shoes).

In an ongoing and often seemingly futile war, the Dutch have managed to reclaim 27% of their land from the sea over the past 1,000 years. Which accounts for their fascination with Colonising other, less watery, lands. Dutch is the almost universal language and sounds very much like trying to gargle with Tuberculosis and a Cleft Palette. Fortunately, the Dutch are more than good at English, and are also, as a general rule, one of the friendliest Nations ever likely to invade your continent and set up home.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A531

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more