A Conversation for Double Basses

Bows and numbers

Post 1

gliacco

Nice entry. A couple of points in case someone is still editing this:

A modern symphony orchestra will often have eight double basses, I have read that the number may go up to twelve (W. Piston, Orchestration, 1955). Eight is the most I've seen on stage, though.

The German bow (also Simandl bow) is not a viol bow, although it is held similarly palm facing upwards. It was invented much later by Franz Simandl (1840-1912) and has significant differences. Note that some performers do use a viol bow, but this is usually restricted to early music ensembles; in such cases you might often see a bass viol being played rather than a double bass.


Bows and numbers

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks for that! smiley - ok

How about me changing the bowing paragraph to the following, then?

"The double bass bow is much shorter than the violin bow. Many players hold the bow at the end like a hand saw, rather than with the hand over the bow. This style of bowing is compulsory in many German orchestras and is normally known as 'German bow'."

Would that be ok?


Bows and numbers

Post 3

gliacco

Suggestion:

"The double bass bow is much shorter and thicker than the violin bow. Many players use a bow of different shape which is held at the end like a hand saw, rather than with the hand over the bow. This style of bowing is compulsory in many German orchestras and is normally known as 'German bow'."

Cheers!


Bows and numbers

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks! I've amended the Entry now.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more