A look back... through rose coloured glasses

1 Conversation

I thought this first edition of the Post since the resurrection might be an opportune time to look back to the 'good old days' to a rather amusing incident that, for me, encapsulates the essence of h2g2 and may help explain in some small way why we all seem to spend so much time here.

Let me set the scene:


A long, long time ago, I can still remember... no that's not it.


A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... err, where was I?


Oh, that's right.

I was researching an article for the Post on how to circumvent the dreaded queue for Approved Guide entries, which at the time was running at about 4 months plus, if my memory serves me correctly.

I had devised a cunning plan to submit guide entries in advance on a regular basis with pretty much nothing in them. The idea being that they could then be used down the track, once a sufficiently good idea for a guide entry had been thought up (after all, even I can think of one idea given 3 months)and then not have to wait long for it to be approved.

I dutifully created such guide entries as 'Haven't decided yet' and 'For later' as I felt I should actually test my theory fully before advising people to use it. I know, I know, I'll never be able to work at one of the tabloids with an attitude like that...

Anyway, the guide entries sat in the queue, virtually forgotten for a couple of months, and just when I was about ready to add my real guide entry I received a rejection email (a lot quicker than the expected 4 months, it must be said).

Now, normally, having an entry rejected from being an Approved entry was both a traumatic experience and a bitter pill to swallow, however, on this occasion, I read the rejection reason given, laughed, and realised why I like this place so much:

Guide Entry: Haven't decided yet.


Content: Also to be decided

Thank you ever so much for submitting your h2g2 Guide Entry entitled
'Haven't decided yet' for the approval of the Editors.


Unfortunately it hasn't quite managed to gain the approval of the
Editorial team, but perhaps the following comments from the Editor
concerned will help you to understand why.
'I haven't decided on a reason to reject this yet.:-)'

May this spirit live on !!!

P.S I never did get to test my theory, as whilst all this was happening the system was changed to the peer review system which is still operating today.

P.P.S I never did get to write the Post article either, but that's another story... ;-)


Linus


22.03.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A522217

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more