Hypotheticon, a Glasgow Sci-Fi Convention

1 Conversation

Hypotheticons were started in 1995 when a short ex-Glasgow University student said he wanted to run something. Knowing no famous people, and having little experience of science fiction conventions he gathered some friends about him, and Hypotheticon was born.

It is run every two years in the centre of Glasgow (normally the Central Hotel) and is a hodge podge of drinking, guests, beer, old TV shows, alcohol, silly costumes, ethanol, ceilidh dancing, whisky and fun.

In previous years we have had Michael Sheard (Star Wars and Grange Hill, and a terrible habit of kissing people), Nicholas Courtenay (Dr. Who), Brian Waugh (Cover artist), Maggie Furey (Fantasy Novelist) and me.

When the convention was first run, as no one knew anyone famous a fake guest was produced. This was a plywood Dalek on castors, and a sod to push over carpet. I ended up (being the shortest) hiding inside it and proclaiming my invasion of the planet. I also danced at the ceilidh, which was hard work.

The second convention, building on this theme, dressed me as a bug-eyed, alcoholic, alien... (Nothing new there then!... ed) and the third had me as a poor sidekick to an R2-D2 unit.

There is talk of a K9 for this year.

As to activities, in previous years we have had live action murder (scaring the First Aid staff badly), Live action computer games (Asteroids, Lemmings, Worms (I was Michael Sheard's Worm!)), Blankety Blank, Telly Addicts, 15-1 Cream Pie Challenge, Guest Talks (both real guests and the foam clad type), Bars, Bouncey Castles, Ceilidhs, Space Hoppers, Art shows, Charity Auctions and Stoneings.

Stoneings you ask. Yes, in 1999 I was stoned for charity. I had to stand in the middle of a square while people paid good money to throw stones at me. I made something like £150 over two days doing that.

And so, to the main reason for this Hypotheticon 2001 is this September in Glasgow. Interested? If so, why not contact [email protected] or
[email protected] for more information (they're on the committee).


Munchkin


22.03.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A522163

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more